Restaurant Liquor Licensing in Australia

There are many different types of Liquor Licenses in Australia, depending on what you need it for. In South Australia alone there are 11 different licenses, which are requirement based. Liquor Licenses are of course needed for any restaurant, bar, or hotel serving alcohol, and in some cases will also be needed for one-off events where alcohol will be served. Additional licenses are needed for such things as “On Premises”, “Packaged Liquor”, “Extended Trading”, and so on. You get the picture. While we’re on the topic, the distillation of any kind also will require special license.

Each state or territory has its authority that has the power to grant alcohol liquor licensing In South Australia, it is the Liquor Licensing Act 1997. In both Victoria and New South Wales, liquor cannot be bought or sold without a permit from the State Government. In Western Australia, the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor is responsible for issuing licenses.

To apply for and get a Alcohol liquor license in SA, all applicants will be required to pay a one-time registration fee, as well as an additional annual fee, which you will then be billed for every April. These fees will differ depending on whether it is a hotel, club, small bar, and so on. You will have to determine the type of license you need before you apply, or the process will take a lot longer than is necessary.

What you need to make your application:

· A National Police Certificate

You don’t need this for a limited license, and you also won’t need it if you have previously managed other licensed premises.

· A Community Impact Statement (CIS)

This allows the residents and surrounding community to have a say in the impact your bar/restaurant/club may have on the locality.

· Development Consent

The actual location of the premises you want the liquor license for. This will usually go through the council policy.

· Notification requirements

This is the notification of your application for a liquor license to the neighbouring premises and possibly to the local police/council.

You will also need a scaled plan of the proposed premises, with distinctively coloured lines to show the property.

Applying for your liquor license without these papers isn’t recommended, and will likely only result in the decision taking longer than it needs to. Luckily, the decision-making process is an efficient one, and if you have prepared properly and had everything in order you shouldn’t run into too many snags.

When you get your liquor license, there is something called a 6-hour closure period, in which hours the sale of alcohol won’t be permitted. These hours are 4:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

If for some reason you’d prefer different closure hours you can state your reasons and request them.

There are several different ways to submit an application:

· By post

· By Email

· In person

· Online

You can choose which method suits you best.

The general timeframe for processing a restaurant liquor license application is:

· 14 days for a limited license

· 30 days for all other types of licenses

 Once you get your restaurant liquor license, you will also have to display signs on your premises that state the liquor laws of the state in which you’re residing.